As a nurse, I interact with my patients every single day. I get to know them well—everything from their favorite color to what they want to be when they grow up.
Patients don’t know quite as much about me. And that’s okay—I got into nursing to help others. It’s not about me.
However, there are a few things I would love to share. I hope that by giving you a glimpse into my life, we will be able to relate and share our stories with one another.
Here are 10 things you probably don’t know about me and …
1. I absolutely love music. Not just listening to it, but making it. It’s such a great source of relaxation. I know how to play the piano and organ.
2. Music was a big part of my childhood. Back in high school, I was involved in band, where I played the trumpet. I also played the organ in church.
3. I may be past my trumpet days, but my love of music hasn’t gone away. I still play the piano, and I sing in church.
… Farm Life
4. I grew up on a farm. Working on the farm was a major part of my childhood.
5. It was just my sister and me—there were no boys in the family. So even though boys typically do field work, it became the girls’ job. We mowed, raked—everything you need to do on a farm.
6. By the time I was 8 or 9 years old, I knew how to drive a tractor.
7. Medicine has always interested me. I love to help people, so it’s the perfect line of work.
8. I have seven cousins on my mom’s side of the family. Four of them are also nurses, so an interest in medicine is definitely something that runs in the family.
9. When I was growing up, there were two main job opportunities for women—teaching and nursing. I thought about trying to have a music career, but I knew that would involve teaching. And I didn’t want to teach. Luckily, I was very interested in the field of nursing.
And finally …
Well, this is something you might know about me. But it’s always worth repeating:
10. I love helping children heal, and watching them grow. My patients are very important to me, and it is such a joy to see them every day.
Please share your thoughts in the comments below.
Also read: My Most Inspiring Moments